Mental Health America Dutchess County is an equal opportunity employer. Come join our dedicated team helping individuals and families with all aspects of mental wellness. To apply for this position, please click on the apply button below.
Poughkeepsie, New York
Veteran Program Specialist Vet-Tap
Part Time 21 hrs per week.
The VPS will be responsible for assisting in the establishment and operation of the Veterans Employment, Training and Transitional Assistance Program (VET-TAP). The purpose of this program is to provide services to reintegrate homeless veterans into the labor force by placing them into meaningful employment and to stimulate the development of effective service delivery systems that will address the complex problems facing homeless veterans. Meaningful employment is defined as open and competitive paid employment, in line with the homeless veteran’s aspirations, talents, and abilities. Ideally, the employment should provide a family sustaining wage or, in other words, at least the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet his or her basic financial needs.
Qualifications for VET-TAP Veteran Program Specialist will be as follows:
- Applicant will be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including conflict resolution.
- Computer literacy.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills. Must be able to work flexible hours.
- Subscribes to MHADC values of person-centered, strengths-based, culturally-sensitive, and trauma-informed service provision.
- Must possess a clean and valid driver’s license.
- Experience with mental health and/or addiction services preferred.
- All prospective staff are screened for criminal background, including the NYS Child Abuse Registry and NYS Justice Center Exclusion List.
Staff will be trained in First Aid/CPR, Safety, Crisis Intervention, Motivational Interviewing, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Naloxone/Narcan Training, and Mental Health First Aid, as well as the usual Human Resources orientation given to all new staff regarding HIPAA and confidentiality.